Char-grilled Chicken and Veggie Stack with Salsa Verde
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled for salsa verde
- ½ cup parsley for salsa verde
- ½ cup basil leaves for salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained (10g) for salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice for salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon water for salsa verde
- 2 small skinless chicken breasts (400g) for stack
- olive or canola oil spray for stack
- 450 g Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3mm slices for stack
- 1 eggplant, cut into12 x 3mm thick slices for stack
- 2 red capsicum, seeded and quartered, each cut into large flat quarters for stack
- 1 zucchini, cut into 16x 5mm thick slices for stack
- 32 basil leaves, extra for stack
- To make salsa verde, place garlic, parsley, basil, capers, lemon juice and water into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth and set aside. Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil and heat to high. Halve each chicken breast lengthways to form 4 thin breast steaks.
- Using a rolling pin, pound steaks between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 5mm thickness. Cut each in half again to form 8 smaller steaks. Place chicken in a small dish with half the salsa verde; stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place vegetables on heated grill and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly charred and just tender. Transfer to a large plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm; repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through. To assemble each stack on a serving plate, layer a slice of eggplant, 4 basil leaves, 2 zucchini slices, 2 pumpkin slices, 1 piece capsicum and top with chicken.
- Repeat layers again. Finish with an extra eggplant slice and top with a tablespoon of reserved salsa verde. Serve immediately.
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
This salsa verde can add zing to a multitude of other dishes, from a simple salad to a roast dinner.